*The following link reflects the most recently updated plans provided to the Commission for review as of 03/07/2019
**See pages 25 to 26 for the new proposals for Parcel 1
Eastern Market Metro Park Plaza DGS Proposed Plan 03-06-2019
Eastern Market Metro Plaza – Parcel 1
The ANC 6B’s Livable Communities Task Force held a meeting on Monday, March 11, 2019 at 7:00 PM at The Corner Store (900 South Carolina Avenue SE).
The ANC 6B Livable Communities Task Force invites residents to participate in a discussion of the future plans for the triangular park north of Pennsylvania Ave between 8th and 9th St SE. (known to many residents as the venue of the “plastic park”).
Please visit again for further information on a second meeting to discuss Parcel 4.
Community Meeting on the Public Park between 8th & 9th Streets SE
(EMMP Parcel 1)
DATE: Monday March 11th
TIME: 7:00 pm
LOCATION: The Corner Store, 900 South Carolina Avenue SE (corner of 9th St SE and South Carolina SE)
(For those who aren’t familiar, the Corner Store is a community art gallery and venue for concerts directly opposite the northeast corner of parcel one. The location will be posted with a sign. http://cornerstorearts.org/CornerStoreArts/EventsCalendar.html)
OBJECTIVES OF MEETING:
- Enable residents to come together for a focused pragmatic discussion of key priorities for the Parcel 1 Park in advance of the anticipated April 3rd public presentation by the DGS team of its final concept plan for the Metro Park Plaza project.
- Facilitate, where demand exists, communities of interest/working groups to continue a focus in specific areas (such as the playground) in the design phase but also, hopefully as an ongoing process in the utilization of the eventual park space.
- Provide an opportunity for residents to share their views on the Parcel 1 park with ANC6B commissioners to help inform the ANC’s eventual formal review of the final design and plan for the park as a component of the Eastern Market Metro Project.
Everyone is welcome. There will be no formal presentations. Just a lightly structured forum for discussion. If you haven’t done so already, please try to take a look at the DGS website for the project: https://dgs.dc.gov/page/eastern-market-metro-park-project (plans provided as of 02/05/2019; see above link for most recent proposed plans). It would be useful to familiarize yourself with the parcel 1 proposals incorporated into the February 6th community presentation: https://dgs.dc.gov/publication/february-6-2019-community-meeting-presentation
AGENDA FOR MARCH 11
Meeting on Parcel One
Following a brief introduction of the park and its context, the time will be divided in 20 minute segments tentatively focused on the following subject areas:
- Children and The Playground (placement within parcel, design, components, accompanying adults, safety )
- Multi-Generational Uses of the Park (desired activities, types of recreation, social interaction, special needs)
- Dogs and Their Human Friends (how great is the demand? Any special focus needed? Any scope for a dog run?)
- Design and Utilization of Green Space: (functionality, esthetics, security, maintenance/sustainability, viability/demand for a community garden space?, lawns vs. astro-turf vs what? )
- Accommodating Special Events in Parcel 1 (pros & cons, options and implications for space utilization)
- Keeping the Park Safe (eyes on the park – how can the space be kept active during the day and the evening)
- Making it OUR Space (installing community art, naming the park, User Associations, Friends of the Park, etc.)
Follow-Up meetings on these or other identified issue areas will be demand driven. None of the topics above can be adequately discussed within the time parameters of one meeting.. There will be sign up sheets for each of these focus areas. ANC6B will encourage and facilitate continuation and deepening of the discussion in any/all of these or other areas of community focus both in context of the project and beyond. Topic-based Listservs based on the sign-up sheets will be initiated and sent to email addresses on the sheets immediately after the meeting and shared with all who wish to join. Discussions can be continued digitally or in separately organized small group meetings.
the DGS parcel one designs can be found at: https://dgs.dc.gov/page/eastern-market-metro-park-project
If you can’t make it to this meeting, but want to participate in specific issue groups or have questions or comments please reach out your ANC commissioner or contact Steve Holtzman, ANC 6B05 (email@example.com)